Welcome to the Legacy Dexter Cattle Registry!
Legacy offers a full service Dexter Cattle Registry for Dexter cattle with DNA genotypes, and testing service with minimal cost and maximum benefit. Registration is simple and expedient. Legacy is building a world-wide HISTORICAL one-of-a-kind record of Dexter cattle and their pedigrees. JOIN THE HISTORICAL EFFORT. Costs are minimal and the historical benefit to the breed maximum. Legacy is THE source for ancestor connected pedigrees!
NOTICE: IN THE CASE OF OVERPAYMENT OR ERRORS PAID VIA PAYPAL WHERE REFUNDS ARE DUE, THE PAYPAL FEE WILL BE DEDUCTED AS PAYPAL WILL NO LONGER REFUND ORIGINAL FEES ON REFUNDS.
Please check your order and make sure the payment you are submitting via PayPal is correct. If you have any questions. . . . do not hesitate to call Legacy, 301 831 9910 with questions. Owners often order tests that are not needed due to obligate status, and also pay incorrect registration fees. If you are new to Legacy, send in your service application and an email to Legacy to send invoice.
Legacy Registration/Testing Fees
REGISTRATION VIA EMAIL:
LEG Case #: $7.00
DEX Case #: $10.00
PDC Case #: $10.00
NC Case #: $10.00
TEXAS Case #: $10.00
USPS Paper Certificate Add $5.00
Transfer Registration via email: $7.00
Transfer Registration via USPS: $12.00
Legacy Steer Registration Online only pedigree: $5.00
Legacy Non-Genotype Registration - Email only $15.00
Legacy Non-Genotype Registration - USPS $20.00
( Non-Genotype Registration requires hair sample submission for archive)
Tests via University California- Veterinary Genetics Laboratory:
(Effective immediately UCD has increased the price for a DNA genotype by $1.00)
A2 Beta Casein $31.00
Milk Protein Panel $76.00 ( A2, Kappa Casein, Beta-Lactoglobulin)
Diagnostic Tests ( below) $21.00 First test; Additional Test $11.00
Color- Red (MC1R) or Dun
Obligate Results email certificate only $3.00 ( A2, Chondrodysplasia, PHA)
Use the Services Application Form to begin the process of registration, transfer, or to order genetic testing.
HOW do I do this?
- Have all the information on your Dexter at the computer. You will need name, name of sire and dam and registration numbers, color, tattoo ( if you wish it in the record), date of birth, color, and horn status. Also name/address of breeder and the owner information.
- Test requests, registrations, and transfers are all completed on the same service application ( order form).
Complete the service application.
- If your Dexter is being DNA tested through Legacy, just fill in your registration option. The registration will be processed and the certificate sent to you once the genotype is complete.
This IS the most efficient choice. If you also want to maintain a direct account with UCD, Legacy will have your account linked and the results will appear in your account. Legacy established the Dexter database at UCD and has worked with UCD to establish testing and the direct accounts. Legacy will follow up on receipt of samples and testing. Leave all the work to Legacy!
- If your Dexter is being DNA tested with a Direct account, then submit the case number in the notes section. Scan, email or text results to:
via computer or cell phone. 301 831 9910.
- If you are testing with Texas A&M enter the accession case number in the note section and scan, email or text copies of the results via computer to: or cell phone 301 831-9910
Or; you can submit a DNA Testing Application directly with the University of California Davis Veterinary Genetics Laboratory (UCD-VGL) as described on our Testing and Services page. Legacy worked with UCD-VGL to develop direct testing accounts with group testing fees. See our Info page for more information about Legacy Testing.
If you affiliate Legacy in your personal profile and order your testing through Legacy, you will have the years of experience and expertise of Legacy working for you.
The Legacy Dexter Cattle Registry is now open to Dexter cattle worldwide. The Dexter must meet the registration requirements of the Legacy Dexter Cattle Registry. All Dexters in the Legacy Registry must have their sire and dam registered in an existing Dexter Cattle Registry with a pedigree that can be traced to either the original Irish registrations, or the English herd books. Email the Legacy registrar with questions.
Paying Legacy Service Application Fees using PayPal: After you have submitted one or more Legacy Service Applications, you can use the PayPal "Buy Now" button at the right to pay the application fees. Just total up the fees from all the applications you submitted and enter the total dollar amount in the "Item price" box during the PayPal checkout process. If you prefer to mail a check, mail to:
3065 Big Woods Road
Ijamsville MD 21754
Legacy offers the following tests through UCD-VGL (fees are listed above):
- DNA genotype: This is a permanent record of your Dexter and is used for confirming parentage.
- A2 Milk: Beta Casein (A2) is an important gene for milk production traits. The VGL test identifies the 2 most common variants: A1 and A2. The A2 variant has been shown to have a positive association with milk yield and protein content. The A2/A2 genotype is also considered to have positive effects on human health.
- Kappa Casein Kappa Casein is an important gene for protein yield and percentage in milk. The VGL test identifies the 2 most common variants A and B. The A variant and AA genotype are associated with higher milk production. The B variant and BB genotype are associated with increased milk protein and casein content, and better cheese yield. Relative to protein content and cheese production, BB is the most favorable genotype, AB is intermediate and AA is the least favorable.
- Beta Lactoglobulin Beta Lactoglobulin is the major whey protein gene. The VGL test identifies the 2 most common variants A and B. The A variant is associated with increased milk yield and whey protein content. The B variant is associated with increased casein and fat content and is favorable for cheese production.
- Chondrodysplasia: Identifies the dwarf gene in Dexters
- PHA: Dexter Pulmonary Hypoplasia with Anasarca (PHA)
- Red Factor or Dun color tests
Legacy preserves the ownership and privacy rights of all genotype testing results and publishes only the genotype status with reference to parentage confirmation. Chondrodysplasia, PHA, A2, and other genetic test results will be displayed in the online pedigrees unless you specifically contact Legacy and request that they not be displayed.
Legacy registry uses the following categories to aid owners in identifying the bloodlines of their Dexter cattle. Legacy does not guarantee the accuracy of these categories and on occasion an error may occur, so owners are advised to check their pedigrees to confirm the bloodline category as follows:
LH - Legacy Horned: Imports through 1955 and Woodmagic descendents
TH - Traditional Horned: Same as Legacy with the exception of one additional bull in the pedigree - Parndon Bullfinch
MH - Modern Horned: Legacy and traditional bloodlines which show the modern imported bulls post 1987 in the pedigree which includes: Lucifer of Knotting, Cornahir Outlaw, Brambledel Redberry Prince, Moomin Post, Canwell Sooty, Breoch Sultan. Any horned bloodline bull imported after 1987 with a DCS appendix registry entry is categorized Modern Horned.
MP - Modern Polled: Any Dexter registered as polled will be categorized as modern polled.
HP: Horned descending from polled lines. HP category covers all horned Dexters which descend from either Saltaire Platinum DCS 2708 or Allies Fling of Grandview, ADCA 6202
Check your pedigrees for any of the above named bulls to confirm bloodline category.
Please take a look at the Legacy Classifieds section of the site. This is where Dexter breeders who use Legacy testing services can post their own Ranch Listings and Animal Listings and anyone can browse the listings.