Welcome to the Legacy Dexter Cattle Registry!
Legacy offers a full service Dexter Cattle Registry for Dexter cattle with DNA genotypes, and testing service with minimal cost and maximum benefit. Registration is simple and expedient. Use the Services Application Form to begin the process of registration, transfer, or to order genetic testing.
Or; you can submit a DNA Testing Application directly with the University of California Davis Veterinary Genetics Laboratory (UCD-VGL) as described on our Testing and Services page. Legacy worked with UCD-VGL to develop direct testing accounts with group testing fees. See our Info page for more information about Legacy Testing.
The Legacy Dexter Cattle Registry is now open to Dexter cattle worldwide. The Dexter must meet the registration requirements of the Legacy Dexter Cattle Registry. All Dexters in the Legacy Registry must have their sire and dam registered in an existing Dexter Cattle Registry with a pedigree that can be traced to either the original Irish registrations, or the English herd books. Email the Legacy registrar with questions.
Please check out the new Legacy BLOG for articles and other information about Dexters and the Legacy Dexter Cattle Registry.
Paying Legacy Service Application Fees using PayPal: After you have submitted one or more Legacy Service Applications, you can use the PayPal "Buy Now" button at the right to pay the application fees. Just total up the fees from all the applications you submitted and enter the total dollar amount in the "Item price" box during the PayPal checkout process.
Legacy offers the following tests through UCD-VGL:
- DNA genotype: $25.00 This is a permanent record of your Dexter and is used for confirming parentage.
- A2 Milk: $20.00 Beta Casein (A2) is an important gene for milk production traits. The VGL test identifies the 2 most common variants: A1 and A2. The A2 variant has been shown to have a positive association with milk yield and protein content. The A2/A2 genotype is also considered to have positive effects on human health.
- Kappa Casein $25.00 Kappa Casein is an important gene for protein yield and percentage in milk. The VGL test identifies the 2 most common variants A and B. The A variant and AA genotype are associated with higher milk production. The B variant and BB genotype are associated with increased milk protein and casein content, and better cheese yield. Relative to protein content and cheese production, BB is the most favorable genotype, AB is intermediate and AA is the least favorable.
- Beta Lactoglobulin $25.00 Beta Lactoglobulin is the major whey protein gene. The VGL test identifies the 2 most common variants A and B. The A variant is associated with increased milk yield and whey protein content. The B variant is associated with increased casein and fat content and is favorable for cheese production.
- Chondrodysplasia: $20.00 Identifies the dwarf gene in Dexters
- PHA: $20.00 Dexter Pulmonary Hypoplasia with Anasarca (PHA)
- Red Factor or Dun color tests: $20.00 each
- Polled: $25.00
Legacy also offers the following additional Registry Services (use the Services Application Form):
- Transfer DNA Genotype to Legacy (UC-Davis) from another lab: $2.00 Includes registration with email certificate
- Registration in Legacy genotype registry - Certificate by email $5.00
- Registration in Legacy genotype registry - Certificate by email and USPS $10.00
- Transfer of registration to new owner - Certificate by email $5.00
- Transfer of registration to new owner - Certificate by email and USPS $10.00
- Obligate Reports (Order only when parents have been tested and offspring parentage confirmed)
- A2 Milk Obligate Results Report: $2.00
- Chondro Obligate Results Report: $2.00
- PHA Obligate Results Report: $2.00
Legacy preserves the ownership and privacy rights of all genotype testing results. Chondrodysplasia and PHA test results will be displayed in the online pedigrees unless you specifically contact Legacy and request that they not be displayed.
Please take a look at the Legacy Classifieds section of the site. This is where Dexter breeders who use Legacy testing services can post their own Ranch Listings and Animal Listings and anyone can browse the listings.